Thursday, March 10, 2016

ALL GREEN!!!

The students knocked this quarterly math test out of the park!  These are the best math scores we have had all year!  I'm blown away with excitement.  I could not be more proud of them.  Thank you so much for all of your help and support this past quarter.  This was one of the most difficult tests of the year.  It is very difficult to switch from 2 digit to 3 digit, addition, subtraction, with regrouping, and without.  We will certainly celebrate soon. 
I would like your support on something though.  I tried to approach this test differently.  I made a big stink about how awesome test day is.  I told the students that this is their time to show off to Mrs. Suer and the other teachers in the building.  We 'celebrated' taking a test.  I made the students go very slow and we stopped a few times for a little break and breathing. My hope is to work on eliminating stress and anxiety when taking a test.  Some of the students often miss questions because they didn't slow down or pay attention to the directions.  Rushing is often a sign of anxiety.  We will continue to approach tests this way throughout the remainder of the year.  If it continues to result in great scores than we have a great new way to attack ISTEP and IREAD next year.  I want to see each kiddo reach their full potential on those high-stakes testing.
I will have some type of "green" treat for them tomorrow!  I want them to really feel good about all their hard work this quarter!  Way to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment